Sunday, January 1, 2017

Good read love the explanation

Are dual core i7 processors inferior to quad core i5 processors?

The question was answer by Jacob VanWagoner.



"So, a few fun facts for you:

1) The i7 is a ULV part. Your friend is a dummy for making the comment about the "cheaper but better i5 part."
Sure, you can get a faster i5 . . . that eats about 60 more watts (no way you'll want it battery powered) and has to have a heat sink too fat for any device you'd want to carry around.

2) You can find faster-clocked processors, but not in thin packages. If you want a 2.5GHz processor in a laptop, it's going to be a fatter, heavier laptop, and it's going to have a comparatively piss-poor battery life if you care about that. (Perspective: I've got a ULV laptop at home and my work laptop is a standard M processor. If I unplug my ULV laptop and switch off the radios and don't play any games, it'll run for a solid 6 hours, or 4 if I'm watching video over the backup drive, or 3 if I turn on the radios and watch Netflix. My work laptop is also a 2-core/4-thread, but it's a standard M part with a faster clock speed. If I unplug it, turn off the radios and don't play games, I'm lucky if I get an hour out of that thing. And my ULV laptop is easy to carry, while my work laptop is a fat heifer.)

3) That 820M GPU isn't going to perform as well as, say, an 850M or 870M. Heck, the onboard graphics unit on the i7 (Intel HD 4600 or 5000) is actually about as good as that 820M, (see Intel HD Graphics 4600), so it doesn't do the computer a whole lot of good to have it on there. But the fact that there are better cards out there doesn't mean it's useless. You'll still be able to play pretty much all modern games. You just won't be able to turn up the graphics to 3x anti-aliasing, max shading, 60fps. You'll have to turn it down, probably way down in order to get an acceptable frame rate. But it works a lot better than your friend is suggesting.

It seems your friend has only ever built gaming machines. And that's fine, you might learn something by listening to him when it comes to getting a gaming machine. But it sounds like he doesn't know jack $#!+ about laptops."

Source: https://www.quora.com/Are-dual-core-i7-processors-inferior-to-quad-core-i5-processors/answer/Jacob-VanWagoner?srid=h2cJW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

I Can Save You Money! – Raspberry Pi Alternatives